A ‘Notice of Intention to Marry’ form must be completed and lodged with me atleast one month (30 days) prior to the wedding.

You cannot get married within Australia without giving one clear months notice.

Once lodged with me the certificate is valid for a maximum period of 18 months.

The marriage cannot take place until after one clear month after the date I receive the Notice of Intention to Marry form unless a prescribed authority has authorised the marriage to be solemnised before that time has elapsed.
If a party to an intended marriage cannot conveniently sign this notice at the time, the other party may sign the notice and give it to me. However in this case, the party who has not signed the notice must sign it, in my presence, before the marriage is solemnised.

The following original documentation is required to be sighted by myself – depending on your marital status.

Marital Status Born in Australia Born Overseas
Never Married
  • Birth Certificate
  • Birth Certificate
  • Passport
  • Birth Certificate
  • Absolute (Divorce Papers)
  • Birth Certificate
  • Decree Absolute (divorce papers)
  • Passport
  • Birth Certificate
  • Death Certificate of Spouse
  • Birth Certificate
  • Death Certificate of Spouse
  • Passport

You will be given a Certificate of Marriage on the day, by the Celebrant, which is a legal document . You will still need to apply for your official Marriage Certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. This certificate has your Marriage Registration Number on it and is what you will require as legal proof of your marriage with regard to changing your surname on personal documentation.

Overseas Visitors

Working with overseas couples for an Australian Wedding is easy, we can arrange to speak on Skype or Facetime . There are just a few administrative details to adhere to, and then we work via phone and email. If you are able to make a visit to Australia prior to your wedding I can work with you to plan a meeting. The main paperwork that must be completed are:

a) A ‘Notice of Intended Marriage’ (form 13) must be completed.
b) Identification documentation must be viewed.

A Notice of Intended Marriage form must be completed and lodged with me at least one month and one day (one clear month) prior to the wedding. Once lodged with me the certificate is valid for a maximum period of 18months.

I usually get couples to handle this as early as possible to ensure we have no last minute hiccups.

The front of the form must be completed carefully then taken to an appropriate officer to witness your signatures. An appropriate officer who can sign this form outside of Australia is one of the following:

An Australian Diplomatic Officer

An Australian Consular Officer

A Notary Public – A person in any country publicly authorised to attest contracts and perform other formalities. Someone authorised to witness legal documents.

An employee of the Commonwealth authorised under para 3(c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955

An Employee of the Australian Trade Commission authorised under para 3 (d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955

The easiest of all of these is usually the Notary Public. Once this has been done the form should be forwarded to me via email first then by registered mail.

When you arrive in the country I can then view your Identification (If born in Australia an Australian Birth Certificate is required. If born overseas – an overseas passport is acceptable, or an original Birth Certificate providing it is in English) Any documents pertaining to a previous marriage must be presented to me prior to the wedding. eg A Divorce Certificate or a Death Certificate.

  • Areas Covered
    Hunter Valley, Newcastle and Central Coast
  • 0412 043 202

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message